Wednesday 20 August 2008

John Schlitt eng

“I SAW SUICIDE AS MY ONLY WAY OUT!”

 

The band was successful and I was the star. But then I was thrown out. It was just too much of drugs and alcohol. The band was my whole life. Our records sold well and we toured all over America. But life on the road paid its tribute: quarrels, drugs and Rock’n’Roll. I wanted to be a big rock star but the band’s keyboard player and I constantly got into fights.

It was a power struggle where I that was on cocaine sank even lower into the drug misery. A formulation in the contract settled the matter. He had a little more power than me. He used it and threw me out of the band. I was totally finished. The band was my whole life. Certainly, I had a wife and two kids that loved me, but I didn’t care about my family. The band was what I was living for. It was everything to me. I now fell heavy and deep. During the next six months I drank a whole lot and pumped myself with alcohol, cocaine and other drugs. My wife that at that time had become a Christian told me much about Jesus. But all I wanted was to become an acknowledged rock star. I hated myself and became more and more depressed. My wife on the other hand was like floating around on clouds and always walking around singing Halleluja songs.

 

SUICIDE – THE BEST SOLUTION?

A less nice Summer evening, or rather night, I came home drunk as a skunk. “In that condition you mustn’t sleep in bed beside me!” my wife hurled at me. With a heavy hangover and my clothes in a mess I woke up on the sofa. My youngest son stood beside me and looked at my face. “Dad, what actually is wrong with you?”, he asked. The question hit me as a punch in my face. I was totally finished. “It is not Jesus, but suicide that is the best solution for me”, I thought.

 

THE KIND MAN FROM THE BIBLE

My wife reminded me of a promise I had given her. “Now we have to go to a counseler, cause that is what you have promised me!” she said. I was long in the face of surprise and couldn’t remind me of ever giving a promise like that. But my wife did. Resolutely she took me to the counseler, I that now most looked like a stinking drunkard. At that time I had totally given up. But when I was there, I for the first time listened to what was really being said in a spiritual conversation. I had always believed in God and Jesus was to me a kind guy in the Bible. But something totally unexpected happened. Holy Spirit just fell over me and I had a powerful meeting with God. Suddenly I began to understand the Bible. That night I became a Christian and I felt how all the burdens I had carried just was lifted off. Totally undescribable!”

 

JESUS IS JUST A PRAYER AWAY

The enemy wants to destroy for us. But we all carry the representation of God inside us. We mustn’t destroy what God has created and given us, our lives that is. Cause he do has a plan for us.

God’s way is not always easy. It is narrow, but it is the only right way to go. The way of the enemy is wide, but those that walk on it will sooner or later fall and die. It was quite close for me. But Jesus has completely changed my life. Everyone has the right to hear about Jesus. He has done so much for mankind. And that’s why we mustn’t throw our lives away and sabotage God’s Plan for us. Jesus is just a prayer away.

 

No comments: